This healthy twist on a seasonal favorite tastes like a decadent treat, but actually has no dairy or processed sugar! Consider making up a big batch of this recipe for your next holiday gathering; it’s sure to be a hit with even the pickiest friends and family. Feel free to adapt the flavors, as you like, substituting almond extract for the peppermint, removing the coffee, or using another non-dairy milk, as you like.
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pure peppermint extract (more or less to taste)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ cup strong coffee
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut sugar or honey (more or less to taste)
- 1 pinch sea salt, to taste
- Open the can of coconut milk, and scoop out the solids at the top. Pour the remaining coconut water into a medium size saucepan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the coconut milk solids on high for 3-5 minutes, until fluffy and thoroughly whipped. Add ½ tablespoon vanilla extract, and a pinch of coconut sugar to taste, and whip until blended. Transfer to a bowl, and put in the freezer to firm it up while you make the rest of the recipe.
- In the saucepan with the coconut water, add the almond milk, coffee, peppermint extract, remaining 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, cacao powder, and 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or honey), and whisk over medium heat until steaming. Add the pinch of salt, and season to taste with more sweetener or peppermint as needed.
- Divide the drink between two mugs, and top with a dollop of the chilled whipped cream. Dust each glass with a bit more cacao powder if desired, and enjoy!
Note: For a grownup twist on this recipe, you can add a splash of your favorite alcohol. Try Bailey’s, Frangelico, coffee liquor, or bourbon.