Whether you’re looking for an easy healthy side dish to compliment your Thanksgiving feast, or just trying to lighten up your meals in the days leading up to Thursday, this salad fits the bill. Vegan & gluten free, it appeases a crowd with myriad dietary restrictions, but tastes delicious enough to make everyone else around the table happy as well. The acidic bite from the lemon and capers in this dressing perfectly offsets all the classic buttery, creamy, rich Thanksgiving dishes, and serves as a welcome counterpoint to all the cooked and mashed vegetables. Shred the sprouts and whisk together the dressing the night before to take one item off your list. This salad also travels well and makes for delicious leftovers.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo (Veganaise is a favorite)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, minced, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- flake sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- croutons of your choice (whole wheat, gluten free, even cornbread!)
- 4 almonds, grated to serve
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, minced capers, nutritional yeast, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a larger bowl, massage the shredded Brussels sprouts with ½ the dressing to soften them slightly. Mix in the parsley and croutons, then transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with the extra dressing to taste, then grate over the almonds with a microplane or zester to serve. Sprinkle over some extra capers, and enjoy!
Notes: Shred the Brussels sprouts with a food processor, or trim the ends, slice them in half lengthwise, then thinly slice them into half-moons.
This little salad stealer couldn’t wait for a bite!