This super summery salad is light, fresh, and lemony, and the perfect new way to use asparagus when you’ve had your fill of the grilled variety. Shaving the asparagus very thinly keeps it crisp, and makes it the perfect match for creamy mozzarella and bright pea shoots. Perfect to lighten up a heavy BBQ spread, this salad also packs beautifully for a summer picnic.
Serves 2 as a side dish, more as part of a larger spread (easily doubled)
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 bunch asparagus, shaved thinly with a vegetable peeler or mandolin
- ¼ cup roughly shredded fresh mozzarella (no pre-shredded cheese please!)
- 1 small handful of pea shoots, cut into roughly ½ inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped basil, to serve (optional)
- In a medium size bowl, toss all the ingredients together. Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding more lemon juice or olive oil as needed. Garnish with the fresh chopped basil if you like, and enjoy!
For the full post, visit Devil Gourmet.