“In the first of our Health and Wellbeing features, our special guest writer Elizabeth Palmer Starnes gives us some great advice on making healthy and tasty food choices.”
If you’re looking for a nutritional powerhouse that packs a serious punch, look no further than salmon. This unassuming pink fish delivers a multitude of health benefits into one delicious dish. Salmon contains a high level of Omega-3 fatty acids, which help to lower levels of inflammation in the body and can help your whole body function better, help prevent a range of cancers, and aid in joint health as you age. These same Omega-3 fatty acids also help keep your heart strong and your arteries clear, aiding in the prevention of heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure.
The Omega-3 fatty acids in salmon have also been shown to protect your brain. Specifically, the component of these fatty acids known as Omega-3 DHA helps to bolster your brain cells, reducing the risk of depression, and protecting your brain as you age. Salmon can help you look good too, as Omega-3 fatty acids can also help to make your skin look more youthful and luminous, and your hair stronger and shinier. The proteins in salmon can also help to keep you feeling fuller longer, and the healthy fat can aid in weight loss and maintenance.
You can prepare salmon countless ways, but I like a simple preparation that’s quick and easy to assemble. This recipe is rich in heart-healthy fats, and the garlic and lemon have many health benefits of their own. They have been shown to bolster your immune system and help your body protect itself. Try to eat salmon often to accrue all of these amazing health benefits, and feel and look your best.
Oven-Roasted Salmon with Garlic, Lemon and Oil
• 1 lb/450g of salmon (ideally wild), deboned, skin removed and cut into 4 fillets
• 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
• 2 lemons, zested and juiced
• 4 tablespoons olive oil, canola oil, or sunflower oil
• Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit/220 degrees Celsius
• In a bowl, combine the minced garlic cloves, lemon zest and juice, oil, salt, and pepper
• Coat the salmon fillets on all sides in this marinade, then lay them skin side down on a sheet pan covered with foil or parchment paper
• Pour the remaining marinade over the salmon, and place in the middle of the oven
• Cook the salmon for 8-10 minutes, then remove and cover loosely with foil, allowing it to rest for 5 minutes so the heat distributes evenly
Serve with a fresh mixed green salad or some lightly sautéed greens dressed with lemon and olive oil for a healthy and balanced meal.