I recently had the opportunity to try Modern Oats, a health conscious company aimed at bringing old fashioned oats up to speed, and making them convenient and delicious for everyone. “After selecting our whole rolled oats, they are carefully crafted artisanal, delicious blends of fruits (such as mangos, apples, goji berries, and Saskatoon berries), nuts (such as pine nuts, walnuts, and coconut), and seeds (such as flax, sunflower, and chia) for the perfect, healthy, modern meal, anytime, anywhere. Modern Oats’ convenient recyclable portable oatmeal cups are the ideal healthy meal for your on the go lifestyle. Keep one at your desk, or in your bag.”
Gluten free, vegan, non-GMO, and kosher certified, Modern Oats come in interesting flavors that go far beyond the classic cinnamon and brown sugar. Enjoy them simply with hot water for a warm snack or easy meal, or get creative and turn one of their fun flavors into a portable energy bite great for refueling on the go. Feel free to use whichever flavor you love in the recipe below.
Active Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes about 12-16 bites
- 1 cup uncooked Modern Oats (one individual package)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup nut butter (try sunflower, almond, or peanut)
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional)
- 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1 small pinch sea salt (optional)
- Stir all ingredients together with a spoon or rubber spatula in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll into whatever size balls you want. To make this process smoother, wet your hands in cold water before rolling each ball.
Alternatively, you can press this mix into a parchment lined baking sheet, chill in the freezer, and slice into bars.