This simple, speedy, no cook salad will adapt to all your farmer’s market hauls this spring and summer. With flavorful heirloom tomatoes, super sweet cantaloupe, creamy avocado, and tangy quick pickled Vidalia onions, this salad hits all the flavor high notes you want this time of year. Light and bright, it’s a healthy, colorful addition to any meal. Feel free to add whatever fresh herbs you have on hand, though herbal, sweet basil pairs especially well here. Serve this alongside a simple grilled fish and some grilled corn or asparagus, chill some wine and beer, and enjoy the new season.
- 1 Vidalia onion, root removed, and very thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large, ripe heirloom tomato (any color), sliced thinly
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 ripe cantaloupe, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- Small handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- An extra squeeze of lemon juice, to serve
- In a small bowl, combine the Vidalia onion, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt, and massage together for a minute until the onion begins to wilt and soften. Let this sit while you proceed preparing the other ingredients.
- On a large platter, arrange the tomatoes, avocado, and cantaloupe. Squeeze the liquid out of the Vidalia onions, and add those to the platter.
- Drizzle the whole platter with the olive oil, sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper, and squeeze over lemon juice to taste. Toss everything together lightly, and check your seasonings, adding more lemon, salt, or pepper as needed.
- Top with your freshly chopped basil, and enjoy!
View the full post on Devil Gourmet.