In this crazy summer heat, meals that are simple, seasonal, and light are the most appealing. This grilled peach salad takes advantage of juicy summer peaches, and the additions of peppery arugula, creamy mozzarella, and salty prosciutto combine to make a meal you’ll want to eat over and over this summer. And if peaches aren’t quite in season where you live, grilling even under-ripe peaches brings out a ripe, sweet flavor. Add some grilled shrimp or salmon, and you’ve got a well-rounded and delicious healthy summer meal.
Serves 4, Time: 20 minutes
- 4 peaches, washed, halved, and pits removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 3 more for dressing
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella, torn into bite size pieces
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 slices prosciutto, torn into bite size pieces
- 3 handfuls arugula
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat your grill (or a grill pan on your stove top) to medium heat. Brush each peach half on both sides with olive oil, and place on the grill flesh side down. Grill on each side for 2-3 minutes, until you’ve got nice grill marks and the peaches have softened.
- Once you’ve grilled all your peaches, place them in a bowl and toss with the balsamic vinegar and remaining olive oil. Let them rest and cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the peaches to another bowl, and make the dressing in the bowl with their juices. Whisk in the remaining olive oil, lemon juice and zest, honey, and salt and pepper.
- On a platter, arrange the arugula, then top with the prosciutto and the mozzarella, and finally the grilled peaches. Drizzle over the dressing, and top with the chopped basil.