With a flu epidemic sweeping the country, you’d be wise to bolster your immune system any way you can. Onions have both anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties, and they boost your body’s defenses by promoting your immune response to the flu. Onions even have anti-microbial properties, which means they can help your body fight the flu on contact. If you do happen to come down with the flu this season, this onion soup can help relieve your symptoms and help you feel better in no time.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 10 cups chicken or beef stock
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 springs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and minced
- Kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- Gruyère cheese to taste
- Peel the onions, and slice them thinly into half-circles. While you’re doing this, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the chopped onions and sauté until softened and starting to caramelize. Once the onions start to really brown, add 1/4 cup of the wine to deglaze the pan. Repeat this process, letting the onions brown and the wine absorb, before adding another 1/4 cup of wine to deglaze again. (You’ll end up doing this five times to use up all the wine).
- Mince your garlic cloves, and add to the onions, stirring to combine. At this point the onions should look caramelized and golden brown all over. When you taste a spoonful, it should taste slightly sweet, with no bite to the onions. Add the chicken or beef stock, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, over medium low heat for 30 minutes (or longer if you’ve got the time).
- Add a few dashes Worcestershire sauce and the minced thyme, stir everything together, and season with salt and pepper to taste. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, and top with grated Gruyère cheese. If you like, you can toast up some crusty bread and add that on top of the soup before adding the cheese, and broil in your oven for a few minutes to melt everything together.
Read the full post on Bachelor Kitchen.
Photo Credit: www.lukalooks.com