This recipe is excerpted from the beautiful seasonal online magazine recently launched by my friend Molly of MollyMy.com. I was lucky enough to collaborate with her on some fun entertaining recipes for the summer, and these Asian Salmon Burgers are a delicious and lighter alternative to basic beef burgers. Perfect celebrating with family and friends, and enjoying the warmer, lighter evenings of summer.
Be sure to check out Molly’s My Magazine for more lifestyle & entertaining tips, and lots of delicious summer entertaining recipes.
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Makes about 6 burgers
- Tools: Food Processor, Grill or Grill Pan
- 2 ½ pounds salmon fillet, skin and pin bones removed, cut into chunks
- ½ red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (optional)
- ½ cup low-fat mayo or Vegenaise
- ½ teaspoon wasabi paste, or to taste
- 6 burger buns
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- Lettuce leaves and tomatoes to serve (optional)
- In the bowl of your food processor fitted with the “s” blade, blitz the salmon carefully, pulsing until just finely chopped but not a paste. Remove to a large bowl and set aside in the fridge.
- In the same food processor, blitz together the onion, garlic, ginger, and cilantro until finely minced. Transfer to the bowl with the salmon and stir to combine.
- To the salmon mixture, add the panko, egg, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha. Form the mixture into 6 burger patties, and place on a baking sheet to refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk together the mayo and wasabi paste and set aside.
- Fire up your grill over medium flame, and grill the burgers for 4-6 minutes on each side, depending on the done-ness you prefer.
- Grill the avocado halves for 2-3 minutes, until slightly charred. Remove the peel and slice into thin slices. Grill your burger buns if desired.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a dollop of the wasabi aioli on each bun half, top with the salmon burger and avocado, and lettuce and tomato if using. Enjoy!
Photos by Jodee Debes.